Author: Gertrude Warden
Author: Gertrude Warden (1859–1925)
Alternate Name(s): (pseudonym); Gertrude Isabel Price (maiden name); Jones (married name); Devot (married name)
Biography: Gertrude Isabel Price was born in 1859 in London, the sister of novelist Florence Alice Price (better known as Florence Warden). She followed her sister into novel writing beginning with As a Bird to the Snare (1888) and she produced several serialized novels for The Family Herald. In imitation of her elder sister, Gertrude used the pseudonym "Gertrude Warden." In 1889, she married John Wilton Jones, a dramatist and journalist. (The couple co-wrote a play, The Cruel City.) He died in 1897 and she remarried a French man, Devot de Quillacq in 1899. In the early twentieth century, Price was a prolific author of romance and mystery novels. Price spent her later years in France where she died in 1925.
References: Author (1 April 1897); British Census (1881); Kemp
- As a Bird to the Snare. 1 vol. Bristol: Arrowsmith, 1888.
- The Dark Arches: A Romance of Three Lives. 1 vol. London: John Dicks, 1890.
- The Haunted House at Kew. 1 vol. London: William Stevens, 1893.
- Five Old Maids: A Story of the South Coast. 1 vol. London: William Stevens, 1895.
- The Sentimental Sex. 1 vol. London: John Lane, 1896.
- Her Fairy Prince. 1 vol. London: William Stevens, 1896.
- The Wooing of a Fairy. 1 vol. London: Hurst and Blackett, 1897.
- An Angel of Evil. 1 vol. London: William Stevens, 1897.
- The Heart of a Hero. 1 vol. London: William Stevens, 1899.
- Stage Love and True Love: A Story of the Theatre. 1 vol. London: William Stevens, 1900.
- A Syndicate of Sinners. 1 vol. London: Digby, Long, 1901.
- The Crime of Monte Carlo. 1 vol. London: William Stevens, 1901.