Author: John Leith Veitch
Author: John Leith Veitch (1855–1904)
Alternate Name(s): [James] Leith Derwent (pseudonym)
Biography: John Leith Veitch was born in 1855. He began as a master in a large preparatory school before moving into journalism. He assisted in the publication of Social Notes and then became the editor of the Salisbury and Winchester Journal in 1890. In addition, he wrote articles for magazines, including Macmillan's Magazine and The Reformer. Under the pseudonym "Leith Derwent" he published six novels leaving another, Felix Strange, completed at his death. He died in 1904.
References: The Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine (1904)
- Our Lady of Tears: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Chatto and Windus, 1878.
- King Lazarus: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1881.
- Circe's Lovers: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Chatto and Windus, 1883.
- A Daughter of Dives: A Romance. 3 vol. London: Hurst and Blackett, 1888.
- A Daughter of the Pyramids. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1890.
How to Cite