Genre Information At the Circulating Library
Genre: Factory Novel
Description: The following novels depict characters who work in or own factories and the social problems associated with industrialization.
- Frances Milton Trollope. The Life and Adventures of Michael Armstrong, the Factory Boy. 3 vol. London: Henry Colburn, 1840.
- Benjamin Disraeli. Sybil: or, The Two Nations. 3 vol. London: Henry Colburn, 1845.
- Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell. Mary Barton: A Tale of Manchester Life. 2 vol. London: Chapman and Hall, 1848.
- Charlotte Brontë. Shirley: A Tale. 3 vol. London: Smith, Elder, 1849.
- Geraldine Endsor Jewsbury. Marian Withers: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Henry Colburn, 1851.
- Charles Dickens. Hard Times: For These Times. 1 vol. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1854.
- Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell. North and South. 2 vol. London: Chapman and Hall, 1855.
- Edward Campbell Tainsh. Crowned. 2 vol. London: Smith, Elder, 1868.