Genre Information At the Circulating Library
Genre: Deceased Wife's Sister Novel
Description: Related to the Bigamy Novel, the plots of these novels center on cases of a man marrying his deceased wife's sister, an illegal marriage during the Victorian period.
- Catherine Anne Hubback. The Wife's Sister: or, Forbidden Marriage. 3 vol. London: Shoberl, 1851.
- Joseph Middleton. Love versus Law: or, Marriage with a Deceased Wife's Sister: A Novel. 3 vol. London: T. C. Newby, 1855.
- Ellen Wood. Lord Oakburn's Daughters. 3 vol. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1865.
- William Clark Russell. The Deceased Wife's Sister, and My Beautiful Neighbour. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1874.
- A. E. Schlotel. Still a Wife's Sister: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Griffith and Farran, 1886.
- Mary Elizabeth Braddon. The Fatal Three: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Simpkin, 1888.
- Emma Elliot. Audrey. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1890.
- Thomas Hardy. Tess of the D'Urbervilles: A Pure Woman. 3 vol. London: Osgood, McIlvaine, 1891.