Genre Information At the Circulating Library
Genre: Social Problem Novel
Description: The following novels depict various social problems (such as alcoholism or poverty) and characters working to address them.
- Frances Milton Trollope. Jessie Phillips: A Tale of the Present Day. 3 vol. London: Henry Colburn, 1843.
- Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell. Mary Barton: A Tale of Manchester Life. 2 vol. London: Chapman and Hall, 1848.
- Charles Kingsley. Alton Locke, Tailor and Poet: An Autobiography. 2 vol. London: Chapman and Hall, 1850.
- Geraldine Endsor Jewsbury. Marian Withers. 3 vol. London: Henry Colburn, 1851.
- Charles Dickens. Hard Times: For These Times. 1 vol. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1854.
- Charles Reade. Hard Cash. 3 vol. London: Sampson Low, 1863.
- Walter Besant. All Sorts and Conditions of Men: An Impossible Story. 3 vol. London: Chatto and Windus, 1882.
- William Bury Westall. Birch Dene: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Ward and Downey, 1889.
- Anne Elliot. Evelyn's Career: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1891.
- William Hale White. Catharine Furze: A Novel. 2 vol. London: T. Fisher Unwin, 1893.