Periodical Information At the Circulating Library
Periodical: The Illustrated London News
History: Published weekly, price 6d. Edited by Charles Mackay (1852–59).
References: Ashley; DNCJ; The ILN Historical Archive 1842–2003; Graham Law, Indexes to Fiction in The Illustrated London News (1842-1901) and The Graphic (1869-1901) (University of Queensland, 2001)
Novels and short stories serialized in The Illustrated London News:
- Anthony Trollope. "The Mistletoe Bough." Tales of All Countries. Christmas Number 1861.
- George MacDonald. "The Giant's Heart." Adela Cathcart. 19 December 1863.
- Eliza Lynn Linton. "With a Silken Thread." With a Silken Thread, and Other Stories. Christmas Number 1875.
- Wilkie Collins. "My Lady's Money: An Episode in the Life of a Young Girl." The Haunted Hotel. Christmas Number 1877.
- William Black. Yolande. 6 January-30 June 1883 (weekly).
- James Payn. The Canon's Ward. 11 July-29 December 1883 (weekly).
- Charlotte Elizabeth Riddell. Berna Boyle. 5 January-26 June 1884 (weekly).
- Robert Edward Francillon. Ropes of Sand. 5 July-27 December 1884 (weekly).
- William Edward Norris. Adrian Vidal. 3 January-27 June 1885 (weekly).
- Robert Williams Buchanan. The Master of the Mine. 4 July-31 October 1885 (weekly).
- James Payn. Heir of the Ages. 2 January-26 June 1886 (weekly).
- Walter Besant. The World Went Very Well Then. 3 July-25 December 1886 (weekly).
- Benjamin L. Farjeon. Miser Farebrother. 2 July-31 December 1887 (weekly).
- Bret Harte. The Crusade of the 'Excelsior'. 1 January-7 May 1887 (weekly).
- Walter Besant. "To Call Her Mine." To Call Her Mine, etc.. 16 May 1887 (Summer Number).
- William Black. The Strange Adventures of a House Boat. 7 January-30 June 1888 (weekly).
- Walter Besant. For Faith and Freedom. 7 July-29 December 1888 (weekly).
- H. Rider Haggard. Mr. Meeson's Will. 18 June 1888 (Summer Number).
- Wilkie Collins. Blind Love. 6 July-28 December 1889 (weekly).
- H. Rider Haggard. Cleopatra. 5 January-29 June 1889 (weekly).
- Walter Besant. Armorel of Lyonesse. 4 January-28 June 1890 (weekly).
- Edwin Lester Linden Arnold. The Wonderful Adventures of Phra the Phoenician. 5 July-27 December 1890 (weekly).
- William Clark Russell. My Danish Sweetheart. 3 January-27 June 1891 (weekly).
- Robert Williams Buchanan. Come Live with Me, and be My Love. 10 October-26 December 1891 (weekly).
- Hall Caine. The Scapegoat. 4 July-3 October 1891 (weekly).
- Thomas Hardy. "The Son's Veto." Life's Little Ironies. December 1891 (Christmas Number).
- Thomas Hardy. The Well-Beloved. 1 October-17 December 1892 (weekly).
- H. Rider Haggard. Nada the Lily. 2 January-7 May 1892 (weekly).
- Arthur Conan Doyle. "A Question of Diplomacy." Round the Red Lamp. Summer Number 1892.
- Henry James. "Greville Fane." The Real Thing and Other Tales. 17-24 September 1892 (weekly).
- Walter Besant. "Peer and Heiress." In Deacon's Orders, etc.. 13 June 1892 (Summer Number).
- Walter Besant. The Rebel Queen. 7 January-24 June 1893 (weekly).
- William Edward Norris. A Victim of Good Luck. 7 April-30 June 1894 (weekly).
- Stanley John Weyman. Under the Red Robe. 6 January-31 March 1894 (weekly).
- George Gissing. Eve's Ransom. 5 January-30 March 1895 (weekly).
- Henry James. The Other House. 4 July-26 September 1896 (weekly).
- Walter Besant. A Fountain Sealed. 2 January-27 March 1897 (weekly).
- Joseph Conrad. "Amy Foster." Typhoon, and Other Stories. 14-28 December 1901 (weekly).